Your bedroom plays an incredibly powerful role in your sexual health and satisfaction. If you devote attention to it, a sexy bedroom can give a major boost to your sexual happiness. On the flip side, neglect can lead to a bedroom that can zap your sexual energy and desire when you walk through the door. Transform your bedroom from dead to dynamic.
If you’re unsure whether your bedroom is hot or not then take a minute or two to answer the five short questions below. If you answer "No" to one or more of these questions, then you need to take action and infuse some life into your bedroom!
- "Can you remember the last time you and your partner enjoyed each other sexually in your bedroom?"
- "Is your bedroom warm and tasteful in its appearance?"
- "Do you have a rule to limit computers, phones, and other communication tools while you are in the bedroom?"
- "Do you feel happy and sexually alive when you are in your bedroom?"
- "Do you and your partner look forward to being in your bedroom?"
Well, let’s upgrade your boudoir with these sexy bedroom ideas.
1. Strive to stimulate all five senses
If you can only remember one of these ten tips, this is the one! Your bedroom should be a place that can actively arouse your five senses as this can really set the mood. As you craft a plan to give your bedroom some well-needed attention, make sure you do not focus only on how your bedroom looks. Ideally, you should take steps to ensure that your changes positively impact all of the key senses below:
- Sight: An inviting appearance is essential to creating a bedroom environment that boosts your pleasure.
- Smell: Scented oils, incense, or candles can turn a stale-smelling bedroom into an alluring haven for you and your significant other. Use essential oils like ylang-ylang or jasmine, which are known to enhance arousal. Burn scented candles (but be careful to choose high-quality candles), or use a spray to help direct a subtle scent exactly where you want it.
- Sound: Soft music or a simple sound machine can help drown out unwanted noise and create a peaceful ambiance in your bedroom.
- Touch: Soft bedding, rugs, and throw pillows feel great to the touch and also help to absorb noise.
- Taste: Keep a stash of flavored lube in your nightstand drawer to satisfy your taste buds while in your bedroom.
2. Give your lighting some attention
Mood lighting can be a serious make it or break it for a sexy bedroom. Dim lighting immediately makes your bedroom decor feel more sensual. Shadows hide those areas we may feel self-conscious about while adding a special romantic touch to the occasion. Changing up your lighting sources can instantly make your bedroom sexier. Strategically placed lighting can give your bedroom an entirely new look on its own. Here are just a few ways to use lighting to create a romantic, fiery or lively mood in your bedroom:
- Install a dimmer switch: Being able to adjust the intensity of your lights to set a sexy mood is a great first step to adjusting your lights.
- Get rid of fluorescent lighting: Fluorescent lights are dated and contain mercury. They can also flicker off and on, causing headaches and killing the overall vibe.
- Update your lampshades: Replacing a drab shade with a warm red one or a cool blue one is an affordable way to enhance your lighting.
- Consider using candles: Candles exude warmth and beauty to help create a sultry bedroom environment.
3. Take out the technology
If your room is filled with technology, from that corner of the bedroom that's set up as your home office to a television, docking station for all your personal electronics, and tons of devices, it's going to feel more functional than sexy. While those devices have their place, you don't want them to be a distraction. Ideally, your bedroom should be used primarily for two things: sleep and sex.
If your bedroom is also your office space then invest in an attractive charging station and supplies for your smartphones, tablets, and computers. Then, choose a designated spot in your bedroom to set up your charging stations and resolve to put your devices in that station before you hit the sheets. Make sure you involve your partner in this step to guarantee their buy-in!
4. Take some time to declutter and clean
The path to an inviting bedroom begins with a clean, inviting space. You can give your bedroom a sexy new look without spending a penny by setting aside some time to declutter. By removing unwanted items from your bedroom, you create space to move about and comfortably act out your sexual fantasies.
A good rule of thumb for the decluttering process is to first remove any broken or non-functional items you uncover. You can either recycle these items or throw them away. Next, set aside anything you have not used or enjoyed for years. If those items are in good condition, you and your partner can donate them to a charitable organization. Finally, give your room a thorough cleaning, seeking the services of a professional cleaning company if necessary.
5. Keep your toy box close at hand (and filled with erotic toys that. both you and your partner enjoy)
Your sex toy collection can prove to be the most powerful tool in your bedroom-enhancing arsenal. Whether your favorite sex toy is the latest bendable vibrator that conforms to your every curve or a wearable device that stimulates pleasure in men, they can make your bedroom sexier.
Your collection may live in a box, the drawer of your nightstand or dresser, or even a basket tucked under the bed. Whatever it may be, take the time to stock it with items that you and your partner are excited to try or to enjoy again - this is guaranteed to make your bedroom sexy.
When your sex toys are close at hand they'll get used more, rather than gathering dust underneath your bed or in the back of the closet. Make sure you include a sex toy cleaner for easy cleanup when you're done. This will help keep your toys in working order and ensure that each session is safe and healthy, with less risk of spreading bacteria.
6. Spruce up your bed
Your bed is the heart of your bedroom, both when it comes to sleeping and when it comes to sex. If you want a sexier bedroom, make sure that you invest in your bed! Consider:
The bed itself. Choose a comfortable mattress: one that is the right firmness for both of you. If your mattress causes pain or prevents you from sleeping in your preferred position, it's well worth the investment to go shopping for a new one.
The bed frame. A sturdy bed frame that doesn't squeak or rattle is an ideal investment for any bedroom, especially if you have children at home. Consider what you most want in your bed frame before you go shopping: for example if you and your partner enjoy bondage, a frame with sturdy posts could be an ideal addition to your bedroom.
The sheets. When your bed has been hiding under the same stained and dated bedspread for years, it is no wonder that your bedroom does not feel more alive. You do not have to spend a pretty penny to update your bedding and pillows. Choose a high-quality sheet set that helps you maintain a good sleeping temperature. Silk or satin can be sexy at the moment, but be warned: they're less comfortable to sleep on than they are to have sex on, and they're more likely to stain than cotton sheets. Go ahead and invest in a great set of sheets that will enhance both your sleep and your sex life.
The comforter or blanket. Let's be honest: there's nothing less sexy than a comforter that you can't have sex on--or under--because you're worried about the risk of a mess or stains. If you want to make your bedroom sexier, choose a comfortable, soft comforter that can easily be tossed in the washer. Pick a fabric or texture that appeals to you and your partner, and check to make sure it's washable before you make the purchase.
Your pillows. Pillows aren't just a place to lay your head, either as you're falling asleep or during sex. They're also perfect for propping under your hips to change up your position, bending over to make yourself more comfortable when approaching doggy-style sex, and using them to help achieve the perfect angle in any position.
Don't be afraid to invest in pillows that are the perfect shape and size for your favorite sexual activities. It can also be useful to have a few small pillows on hand to place under you or your partner while receiving a massage.
7. Minimize external noise in your bedroom
Nothing can shake you out of the mood faster than noise outside the bedroom, whether it's the sound of the kids fighting in another room or a roommate turning up the television. Not only can it distract you and pull you out of the moment, but distracting noises may also make you worry that you can be overheard, which can ruin the mood and prevent you and your partner from fully enjoying yourselves. Consider:
- Artfully using hangings or other items to help dampen sound
- Pushing a towel or blanket under the door, if needed
- Using a white noise machine or soft music to help minimize exterior noise
8. Hang a new mirror (or two!)
Mirrors offer a host of benefits to people looking to improve the ambiance in their bedroom. For starters, they help make small bedrooms appear larger by creating the illusion of space. They can also help you brighten a dull bedroom by reflecting sunlight and artificial lighting present in opposite areas of your bedroom. And finally, a large mirror can hide imperfections in your wall while giving you and your partner a multitude of ways to use your new mirror to spice up your lovemaking!
Preparing a sexier bedroom is one great way to enhance your sex life and improve your sexual health add some sexy to your boudoir with MysteryVibe!